Wednesday, January 6, 2010

New Zealand Cuisine

Hello all! 

Sorry you haven't heard from me in a few days. We have been actual students these last few days, sitting in lectures, learning about New Zealand agriculture, and taking field trips to the University's farms, including sheep, dairy, and deer. More details to come on those later!

For now, I am wanting to tell you about their food. It's very interesting here. We eat here in the dorms quite often, and we all know the dorm food isn't the best representation of a country's food. They usually serve dishes that can be common in the U.S., but they don't season or salt much as we do. It's much more bland, so we are all going through a salt withdrawal. 
When we've gone out to eat, it has been good though. One night I got an equivalent of their meatlovers pizza (as seen above) and another night I got fish 'n' chips at a local pub. Fish 'n' chips is very popular here. Their burgers are also very good, and they serve egg on top of the burger.

They do have McDonalds, KFC and a few other American fast food chains, but we're trying to avoid American food when we can take in all this other local cuisine.

I hate to say it, but you won't hear from me or Whitney for a few days. We're off on a 5-day trip to try out the rest of the south island. By the next time I talk to you, I will have gone on a glacier hike and a cruise, skydived and bungy jumped. I do promise pictures!

Box of Birds,
Kaity


No comments:

Post a Comment